Software Development Trends – Top 8 Trends for 2020
The growing digital world, the development of new software, and the implementation of new techniques have every business on edge. Mobile apps and websites are running the world and control peoples’ lives. They help smartphone users in completing their day to day tasks. There were over 2.7 billion smartphone users recorded at the end of 2019, and the number will only boom. Mobile apps are the easiest way to reach out to customers, and every website owner is investing in building a mobile app. However, most businesses overlook minute details that make up a great app. As we enter into 2020, there are various web and mobile app development trends and software development trends you need to look out before you build a digital product.
Top 8 Mobile App & Software Development Trends
To stay on top and ensure that your app is famous, here is a list of trends you should think about implementing in your app.
AI & Machine Learning
Artificial intelligence is already a widely known phenomenon, being implemented as a tool by many companies. Artificial intelligence or AI is a software tool that performs the tasks of a human, to the best of its abilities. It is used for basic tasks like voice recognition, visual perception, and language translation. AI can analyze human behavior and then make research-based decisions. It tries to mimic biological intelligence to allow the software to act upon those degrees and diminish human intervention. There are three main types of AI, narrow or weak AI, strong or general AI, and artificial superintelligence. Until 2020, developers have only mastered the usage of narrow AI.
Machine learning is an AI application that enables systems to learn user behavior and improve user experience accordingly. There are four methods of machine learning algorithms, supervised machine learning algorithms, unsupervised machine learning algorithm, semi-supervised machine learning algorithm, and reinforcement machine learning algorithms.
Six Ways to AI and Machine Learning
- To understand consumer behavior
- To boost search engines
- Handling real-time translation
- Improving mobile data security
- Improving user experience
- Smart camera with face identification
- Integration of AI with IoT
Benefits of AI and Machine Learning
- It helps businesses automate basic tasks like monitoring, auditing, reporting, etc.
- Machine learning tools can be tailored to offer a complete understanding of business risks.
- It offers personalization to businesses when they use Google or Facebook as marketing tools. Business owners know their audience faster than ever.
- It helps businesses process consumer-based data quicker.
Software Development Trends – Internet of Things (IoT)
Internet of Things or IoT is a network of computing devices that communicate with one another. It connects digital machines in a particular surrounding using the internet as the glue. IoT apps allow devices to exchange information without minimum human intervention. IoT software and devices pose as a wide market for businesses in 2020, because of smartphones. In the near future, IoT may enable devices will be controlled via smartphones, more efficiently and widely.
Trends of IoT Mobile Apps
- Smart Home – The IoT enabled smart homes will become widely popular among consumers. Smart homes will be controlled via smartphones, which is good news for businesses that develop mobile apps.
- IoT in the Healthcare Industry – The healthcare industry will implement IoT apps to help seniors in performing tasks. It will give patients complete control of their surroundings 24/7.
- IoT devices that can run AI-enabled apps.
- IoT-enabled vehicles and driving.
Software Development Trends – Cloud-Based Apps
Cloud technology is a trend that is rapidly picking up pace in software development. It began as a hosting service, but now they use them for software development by companies. In 2020, the cloud will be a preferred platform because it provides mass data storage, high security, and easy access to data.
However, cloud technology hasn’t penetrated into mobile app development, and 2020 is the year to do that for your business! Cloud apps will run on the cloud, which means they won’t take up the internal storage of smartphones, which is a user-centric benefit. Cloud-based apps also benefit the developers because they’re quick to build and deploy. Cloud apps are the future of mobile apps that are a time-saving and cost-effective solution.
The Top Three Platforms for Building Great Cloud-Based Apps
- Amazon Web Service or AWS – is a subsidiary of Amazon the provides an on-demand cloud computing platform. It’s considered the most powerful solution for developing cloud-based software.
- Google Cloud Platform – is a public cloud platform offered by Google. It offers a variety of tools for cloud management, development, and security that help in building cloud software.
- Microsoft Azure – is a cloud computing platform introduced by Microsoft. It supports the full lifecycle of software development, from development, testing, and management to successful deployment.
Software Development Trends – On-Demand Apps
The new decade will be a turning point for on-demand apps as they become more ‘in demand’ by businesses. On-demand apps are software programs that allow users to fulfill a specific need instantly. To be precise, they meet consumer demands as quickly as possible. On-demand apps have various categories, like taxi apps, food delivery apps, retail apps, beauty care apps, etc. Most organizations are focused on developing the best on-demand apps to offer their customers a quick medium to fulfill their needs.
The Two Big Reasons You Need an On-Demand App
- To get investors – You can attract big investors if you have an on-demand app idea that helps smartphone users solve a problem. For example, you can start by building an on-demand house help app.
- Reach a huge audience – An on-demand app helps businesses of any size reach a larger audience. For example, Uber is a taxi app that started small but quickly became a consumer favorite.
Cross-platform apps are software that can run across multiple operating systems. The platform allows developers to use a single codebase for building apps on multiple OS platforms. Cross-platform apps have proven to be a highly efficient, cost-effective, and time-saving solution for building mobile apps in recent years. Businesses build cross-platform apps to reach multiple smartphone users and target a large audience to get maximum downloads. They’re the fastest solution for a high ROI (return on investment).
Reasons for Building Cross-Platform Apps
- Quicker development – Cross-platform apps are a one-time development process. The apps are compatible with multiple platforms and can get a deploy easily.
- Lesser team members – The development of cross-platform apps doesn’t require a large team. One small team is all you need to build the perfect cross-platform app.
- Grab a bigger audience – With cross-platform apps, businesses can grab the two big markets, Android and iOS, at the same time.
- Cost-effective – Since all you need is a smaller team, the development of cross-platform apps reduces costs. Additionally, you don’t have to invest in individual native apps for Android and iOS, which also decreases costs.
The Top Tools In 2020 for Developing Cross-Platform Apps
- Flutter – Flutter is a cross-platform app development tool that lets developers build apps from iOS, Android, Mac, Linux, Windows, Google Fuchsia, and websites. It offers programmers with a hot reload feature to detect changes quickly.
- React Native – React Native is a widely known and used cross-platform app development platform. It offers ready-to-use components to build apps and provides ease to programmers at the development stage.
- Xamarin – A cross-platform app development platform that also offers .NET and C# as supporting tools to developers. Xamarin is suitable for iOS and Android apps.
Software Development Trends-Instant Mobile Apps
Instant apps are advanced software that is available to Android users (as of yet). Google started them, which allows users to experience an app before they download it. An instant app offers all the features of a native app that the user can experience, without using any internal phone storage. The instant apps act as a medium to attract and convince users to download them.
Reasons for Building an Instant App In 2020
- Acts a ‘prototype’ – An instant app is similar to a prototype, but it is fully functional and allows users to interact with the app. You can use an instant app to give users a glance at what the app is all about.
- Maximum user engagement – Your instant app is a gateway to the actual app. If users like your instant app, they will download it and spread the word. Once your app is famous, it’ll increase user engagement.
- Higher conversion rate – An instant app increases your conversion rate. Users are bound to download your app by clicking the download button if they like what they experience.
5G Network Services
5G wireless service is an up and coming trend that has been in the development process for quite some time. It’s a top tech trend that will primarily affect the mobile app or software market in the year 2020. The speed of the 5G network can be 100 times faster than 4G. The 5G network will grab a huge chunk of smartphone users by the end of 2020. Companies will implement tech trends like 3D gaming, AR/VR, and IoT that will be assisted by the 5G network. The worldwide 4G to 5G market report 2019-2025, revealed that by the year 2023, 70% of mobile carrier companies would switch to 5G.
Reasons 5G Is Better Than 4G
- The 5G network will bring down the website waiting time to less than 1ms.
- It will offer speeds 100 times more than 4G.
- 5G speeds will also reduce mobile app loading time between 1-2 seconds.
- The 5G network will enhance communication in remote areas.
- The battery life of IoT devices will increase by ten times.
- 5G will allow faster and efficient data transfer between devices.
- The low latency and high speed offered by 5G will allow developers to add more AR/VR related features.
- More AI-fueled software will be available to smartphone users.
Software Development Trends – Chatbots
A chatbot is a digital product that can initiate and carry out human-like conversations via texts and audio-based conversation. In 2020, chatbots will get integration with AI to identify user behavior and simulate a more meaningful dialogue with the user.
Features of an AI-driven Chatbot That Make It Better Than a Regular Bot
- An AI chatbot gives data-driven answers that prove helpful to users.
- AI-driven chatbots can be trained according to the industry.
- An AI-driven chatbot is intelligent and knows when to transfer a user to a human professional.
Build an Amazing Software Using Software Development Trends 2020
The year 2020 is another milestone year for software and mobile app market. These development trends will help you stay ahead of your competitors; however, there is a chance that the trends will keep growing. Hire a great developer who can stay on top of these trends to deliver the best mobile app for your business!